Usually when we think of romantic first dance songs we think of slow ballads like "At Last." But there's no reason a love song has to be slow. If you and your groom both like to dance, why not try one of these upbeat first dance songs for your first spin around the dance floor as newlyweds. Artists like Bruno Mars, Queen and Natalie Cole have wonderful uptempo love songs in their discography. These tunes are also a great option for couples that don't want to be the center of attention—stray from tradition and make your first dance a group event.
Photo: Legacy BAND, Oakland, Calfornia
If you're hiring a wedding band, ask about the fast love songs that they have in their repertoire or choose one of your favorites and find out if they can learn it—just be sure to give them plenty of notice. If you're booking a wedding DJ , you could request a medley of love songs and start with the usual slow song, but after a few steps, transition to an upbeat wedding first dance song to surprise your guests.
Photo: BLK Soldier DJ Service, Chicago, Illinois
All the romance, at a slightly faster beat will most certainly get your guests ready to party. In fact, you may want to ask your band or DJ to add a few of these tracks to your wedding playlist.
Here are our favorite upbeat wedding songs for a first dance.
- This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) - Natalie Cole
- You Make My Dreams (Come True) - Daryl Hall & John Oates
- Love On Top - Beyoncé
- You're My Best Friend - Queen
- How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) - Marvin Gaye
- Love Somebody - Maroon 5
- Treasure - Bruno Mars
- Love Me Like You Do - Ellie Goulding
- Everything - Michael Bublé
- I Choose You - Sara Bareilles
- Happy - Pharrell Williams
- Fallin' For You - Colbie Caillat
- When You Know - Robbie Williams
- All My Loving - The Beatles
- Dancing in the Moonlight - Toploader
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love - QUeen
- Do You Believe in Magic? - The Lovin' Spoonful
- I Want You to Want Me - Cheap Trick
- Lovebug - Jonas Brothers
- Kiss - Prince
- L-O-V-E - Nat King Cole
- The Kiss - Catly Rae Jepsen
- Walking On Sunshine - Katrina & The Waves
- Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic - The Police
- I Got You (I Feel Good) - James Brown & The Famous Flames
- September - Earth, Wind & Fire
- Marry You - Bruno Mars
- Shape of You - Ed Sheeran
- Hooked on a Feeling - Blue Swede, Bjorn Skifs
- I Wanna Dance with Somebody - Whitney Houston
- What I Like About You - The Romantics
- Home - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
- You're The One That I Want - John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John
- Rhythm Of Love - Plain White T's
- Finw By Me - Andy Grammer
- When I'm With You - Ben Rector
- Sugar, You - Oh Honey
- No Matter Where You Are - Us The Duo
- Good Day for Marrying You - Dave Barnes
- be my forever - Christina Perri, Ed Sheeran
- My Girl - The Temprations
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Michael Bublé
- Moondance - Van Morrison
- One Fine Day - The Chiffons
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours) - Stevie Wonder
- You've Got a Friend in Me - Randy Newman
- Crazy In Love - Beyoncé, JAY-Z
- When You're Smiling - Louis Armstrong
- Stuck On You - Meiko
- We Found Love - Rihanna, Calvin Harris
Have a listen to these upbeat first dance songs on Spotify:
Tips for booking a wedding band or DJ:
- On The Bash, you can search through a list of top-rated, bookable wedding bands and DJs in your local area. While browsing, be sure to review vendor profiles and check out their photos and videos.
- When preparing a request for one of our musicians or DJs, keep in mind that the more details you can provide, the more accurate the price quote you'll receive. If you receive a price quote that seems like it needs clarification, don't hesitate to reach out to the vendor directly to find out more.
- Make sure you have discussed what supplies the vendor will need for their performance. You'll want to know what they can provide, and what you'll need to have on hand at your event.
- Communicate your expectations and special requests to any prospective musicians, and make sure to ask about their repertoire — especially if you have a particular song that you would like them to perform.
- If you're planning an outdoor event, be sure to discuss where the vendor will be situated for the best acoustics and conditions for them to perform.
- Discuss what kind of atmosphere and mood you are hoping to set for your event. The more they know, the better they'll meet your expectations.
Photo: Ring of Music, Chicago, Illinois
There are tons of benefits to booking through The Bash. Our guarantee ensures that our vendors are held to the highest standard of professionalism. All deposit and balance payments made online through our secure EventPay system are backed by a 100% money-back guarantee. You’ll also have hands-on support from our Account Services team who is available to help with any event needs, including a last-minute replacement.
For more advice on hiring musical entertainment, here are helpful tips on how to book a band — and be sure to check out these 10 questions to ask before signing a vendor contract.
Let’s Get This Party Started!
Find event inspiration, themes, and unique party vendors here on The Bash. We’ll share customized ideas, personalized tips, and recommended vendors to help bring your celebration to life!
Party Planning Checklist